CCR Simulator

Jack Ward

Philosophy Statement

Computers have always been something I have found interesting. I like learning how they work. There is a certain sense of magic behind it or “Voodoo” as I like to refer to it. By now knowing how to use the basic functions of a computer is something most people know, but that has never been good enough for me. I always like to learn a bit more, or to understand things on deeper level. If someone was having trouble with a computer I would always volunteer to help knowing if I couldn’t fix it, I might just learn how. In middle school, I discovered an online game making engine called Game Maker. It was simple and free, and it came with some sample games showing capability. I spent hours and hours working through the logic based properties of the engine before I was able to get a ball to move across the screen, and I fell in love with the feeling. It was like a very complicated puzzle. Pretty soon, I could make the circle move around the screen using the arrow keys. By the end of my 8th grade school year I had created my first semi-functional game for a school project. I felt limited though. There was an option to enter your own code in the engine it only served to remind me that the I still knew very little about what actually went into programming. This is what ultimately pushed me into pursuing a career in computer science. Having both a love for art and passion to learn programming, I decided my best option was to major in computer science, with a concentration in graphic design. I have always seen a valuable connection between programming and art. They are analogous in the way that an artist creates with a pencil, and a computer scientist with code. More importantly, they are complementary. Websites, computer applications, and operating systems wouldn’t be nearly aesthetically pleasing without the work of graphic designers to make their icons, backgrounds and animations. Likewise, a coder gives an artist a wonderful opportunity to create art with a practical use that everyone can appreciate. My success has been encouraging, and my blunders have only shown me how much computer science can teach me. I’m excited to test my skills and further my knowledge on the years to come.