Career Path

When everyone is around fifth or sixth grade they always tell everyone around them what they want to be when they grow up. Common occupations are fireman, doctor, or baseball player. Soon, this speculation is replaced by adults asking the high school senior where they plan on going to college. Finally, college is over and now the student again must discover what they want to be when they grow up. I am 5 months away from "being grown up" and I am still not exactly sure what I want to do. This may sound indecisive to the casual observer, but I believe that I have chosen a field of study that allows me to be somewhat indecisive at this point. There are many options that one can pursue with a Computer Science degree and I have not yet pinpointed which of those options I want, however, I have narrowed the choices down.

First and foremost, I want to work at a place where I have to think on a daily basis and am allowed to be creative with my ideas. I do not want to work at a place that says we need a program that does this, follows these guidelines, and looks like all of these other programs over here. Although this may be most efficient for the bottom line, I don't believe it is the way to find the best solution. In addition, I wish to work at a company that is as motivated and determined as I am to not settle for mediocrity.

As far as specific areas of Computer Science related fields, many interest me. I thoroughly enjoy programming and would love a job that enabled me to solve new problems and puzzles every day. I also very much enjoy maximizing productivity. All my life I have always looked at things and said, "Why not do it this way?" This goes together very well with programming as every programmer's goal is to write the perfect program. I have also always loved video games, and job in this field would be my dream. I can only imagine what it is like to get paid to make games that people, like myself, enjoy so much.

Right now my career plan is not limited by a time-line, exact companies, locations, or even job titles, I am truly open to anything that interests me and that I enjoy doing.