Comp Sci Project Showcase
by Cody Schober

Blog Entry #26

April 26, 2016

I have been working throughout the course of today to create the navigation drawer needed, but I have largely been unsuccessful. What I am trying to do right now is set up and use the navigation drawer from the main activity, and then be able to go into other activities with this same navigation drawer.

What I have discovered today are two things: Either I need to re-design the application to implement each page as a fragment, and then have the main activity act as the initializer of the app, or I need to figure out a way to re-design my existing activities to be an extension of the main activity. Unfortunately, given how much time and success it took today to try and get something to work using the activity extension method, I do not think I would have enough time to create the dynamic navigation drawer I desire.

However, I do have a backup plan.

Utilizing a static navigation drawer, I can include a link to a Bookmarks activity. This activity, utilizing the same methods that the Results activity uses to bring up the contents of a JSON file, will display all of the bookmarks that the user has. When the user selects an activity, just like with the Results activity, it will send on the name of the project and the url to Blog View. In this way, I am utilizing existing code and methods to accomplish the bookmarks feature, which will give me time to finish the project and prepare my presentation and defense.

Looking at the situation, yes, I really want to design it so that the bookmarks show up in the navigation drawer, not have it pop up in another activity. However, since time is limited, I will just have to list it as a future update I would like to add to the project. What is important is ensuring that I have a working, in-line-with-the-guidelines solution I can deliver to the class next week.