Search
  • Aldo Gonzalez

3/30 Zip, Image Formats, TK Manual Search, and Manual Disk-Saving

Done:

I tested some more slicer functions. Some of those are useless at the moment, but the zip one might be necessary later on for performance reasons. Unfortunately, as much as I got a zip folder made of all the tile images, I was not able to access them. The directory access attempt yielded an error of no directory found as if a zip folder cannot be accessed. That's likely due to a need to extract the files, except that that would render this disk alternative useless, no? I'll keep tabs on this issue and seek alternatives, but for now, I moved on to sticking with the disk.

I looked into the differences between jpg and png, and it was interesting to see why the pixel algorithm for each leads to differences in sharpness and size depending on the image. I think I'll do png while I have simple images, given png is much smaller and sharper for those (as per my test cases). Later on, if I get to complex images, I can make the switch to jpg.

I tried finding a TK manual because I wanted something that's easy to reference. Unfortunately, I only found outdated, differing versions, or not user-friendly ones. That was a difficulty when it came to clearing items on the screen because all of the methods online were from 10-15 years ago and no longer work. I got one of those to work for wiping the whole screen, alongside the Frame widget, but it is probably not a long-term solution.

I also had issues with manual disk-saving. The slicer allows you to save the tile images to disk via any given directory, file format, and prefix. But the parameters were giving me errors for a while. The directory ended up needing a specific function from an external library. At least now I get a common prefix no matter which photo is sliced, so that the disk images are merely replaced, and I can keep a consistent look-up.

3-303-30

Next Steps:

• List with all tile names from disk

• Loop to display all tiles

• Random picker from list

• Replace an image copy? or make a new one? or?

• At each tile location, pick a random tile from the list and drop it there

0 views0 comments