Kyle Van Den Heuvel's Robotic Guide

Hello!

About Me
Hometown: De Pere, WI
Majors: Computer Science (Concentration in CS)
Economics
Resume: Updated February 4, 2015
Personal Philosophy
   "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

   Problems are the driving force for what brings us to actually do anything. Why bother getting out of bed if there wasn't anything to get up and solve? There is one major intersection where my majors lie: Both focus on the aspect of problem-solving. Trying to develop an interface for a site which users can watch videos online is just as much of a puzzle to solve than discovering their demand for such a service and what to include with the service. I've always loved puzzles as a kid so it was probably a foregone conclusion that I would devote myself to two fields that specialize in them.

   My interest in computers probably sprung from my early memories of sitting in front of a TV with an Nintendo Entertainment System controller in my hand back when I was 4 or 5. From my first time playing a video game, to first hearing the chirps of my computer's modem as I signed into America Online 3.1, to eventually building my own computer, computers have always fascinated me. They not only can entertain, but help us learn or give us advice that we would otherwise not have access to. Computers have become such a core part of our lives with the internet and smartphones that it seems crazy that when I was born in 1988, those were barely even invented, but less even a hundredth as prominent as they are now. My dream job would be one in which I can use my knowledge of computers to help others. To create something that makes people better off then where they were.

   Computer Science is not only about solving theoretical puzzles. It is about using technology to make our lives better. To pull from Clarke's Third Law, we are the wizards who talk to the computers and make them do the things we want them to do. Coaxing the machine to do good deeds is one thing, but to do it well is another. Throwing code at the wall and seeing what sticks will work some of the time, but if it comes at the expense of reliability, then we harm ourselves by harming the craft. What good is a tool maker if half of their tools break the thing the tool is needed for? That is why I aim to make sure my code is based on solid foundations and logical reasoning.

   "If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is." - John von Neumann

Design from this website taken from CSCI322 Client/Server Project.