St. Norbert College Laura A. Weiland
CS460 - Dr. D. C. Pankratz

Computer Science Capstone Project
"CCR Deadlock"

Home

Personal
Information

Project Info

Journal
Resume
Philosophy Statement
Career Plan

Philosophy Statement

Fundamentally, computer science is a field set up to improve upon the way people live and work. The area of computer science has exploded in the last half century and has brought about countless improvements in our daily lives, including improved working conditions, interactive teaching tools, and full length animated movies to name a few. One might say that computer scientists work to optimize every aspect of human existence.

The number of facets in human existence is innumerable, and likewise is the number challenges and possibilities within computer science. Having an understanding of the underlying theories in computer science will allow one to move around within the discipline as his or her interests change. At the age of 21, I cannot begin to think of a specific thing that I would like to do for the rest of my life and have been told I never will. As I grow with each new experience, I continue to find several reoccurring interests within a diverse set of themes. My fascination with computers, technology, and learning will never die and I am comforted in knowing that the field can accommodate to my indecisive nature. However, I hope somewhere in my career to inspire another to pursue computer science through the themes in their life, thus indirectly affecting a facet of human existence that I had not reached.

top

Career Path

I'll have to admit, it wasn't until this past summer that I really knew what I wanted to do with my life. However, this past summer I had an excellent internship experience with Schneider Logistics in their Engineering department that really gave my future goals a direction. For that reason, I have decided to go on to graduate school in Industrial Engineering. My thirst for knowledge and new career goals has helped guide my decision to continue my education. I am proud and excited to say that I have been given the opportunity to study at Purdue University next year. Upon completing a master’s degree in Industrial Engineering, I currently plan to return to the area to start my career, however time in graduate school could change that. I am leaving the doors open to the idea of obtaining a PhD or seeing where else this new educational freedom will take me.

top