Home
My Journal
Database Model
Philosophy Statement
Career Path
Career Resume
Presentation Outline
Actual Presentation Notes
Jason Van Pee's Philosophy Statement
To first address the question of how I fit into the discipline of Computer Science it is necessary to discuss how the discipline of Computer Science fits me. The discipline of computer science is much more than a possible career, it is a true passion of mine. When deciding the proper career path advisors often ask a person what they would do if they had an infinite amount money. I would do computer programming, and of course buy a computer that would make the Amish want to install power outlets. This desire for computer programming leads me to believe without questions that Computer Science fits me, but how do I fit into the Computer Science discipline?
I feel every personality addition to the Computer Science discipline is a good addition. The most important thing I learned at St. Norbert College is that everybody knows something I don’t. In addition there is no possible way I can know how to do everything and accomplish everything that our society is demanding of computers and computer scientists. The only way to continue this growth in the computer industry is to have every computer scientist bring what he/she knows to the table. A good idea should never be limited to one mind. So what do I bring to the Computer Science discipline? I like to think I bring a fair amount of skill to the table, but I believe the biggest thing I bring to the table is passion for the art of programming. I don’t give up on a program until I am completely confident that it is the best solution for the proposed problem. This striving for continual excellence is extremely important in the growth and success of not only the computer science discipline but our society. So get the extra chairs because come May I will be joining the other great minds of the Computer Science discipline along with my classmates that I have been fortunate enough to consider my friends for the past 4 years.