John Rousseau - Senior Capstone Experience

Introduction

Resume

Career Plan

CS Philosophy

Previous Work

Journal

Presentation

Source Code

Career Plans

As graduation approaches, I have begun to deeply reflect on my time here at St. Norbert, my future, and my ideal career. More and more I have found myself to have a number of strong interests. It is my hope to eventually be able to utilize all of my skills in an enjoyable career. I have come to realize that I will be able to enjoy more than one distinct career during the duration of my adult working life.

The first one of my deep passions is computing and the computer industry. I have been involved with computers in some way, shape or form for a better part of my life. I would need an enjoyable career to include some type of information technology element. The exact area of information technology is not as defined since I have explored many different areas, enjoying them all. Project management has been the most challenging and rewarding, so I would like a position to include some managerial element.

There has also always been a part of me with a strong interest in law enforcement. While previously under the impression that the two careers were completely opposite of each other, I have begun learning that the two are actually very related.

The first path for an enjoyable career would be a successful position in private industry that is challenging yet has room for growth. The private sector has historically been more profitable, but money is not the only thing to consider. Starting in an ideal information technology position at any level will provide me with room to advance to my desired managerial level.

The second unique possibility would be a career that involves the fusion of law enforcement and computer science. While most of these jobs reside in the government sector, the job market is plentiful. Agencies like the FBI, CIA, NSA and even some state and local departments are seeking professionals in the computing industry.

I believe that in the end, I will consider my career a success if it contains at least one of the previously mentioned elements. Ideally, both law enforcement and computer science will be focuses of the position.