A Senior capstone project

Computer Science Philosophy

Why did I choose computer science as my major? Why do I want to pursue the profession?

It started when my family got our very first PC, an Intel 80286, when I was 6 years old. It was probably one of the first computers owned by a private family in Vietnam too. I fell in love with the computer at the first sight. There were something very cool about it; I thought it was magic! How could it calculate a number in billions in an instance? Calculators were not even around at the time. How behind the information technology industry in Vietnam was! Since that moment I have dreamed of being a computing professional, just for the sake of being cool, being a magician.

Later on, I gradually recognized that what I love (philo) about computer is its capacity to do things that could take years for human to do themselves, or even impossible (sophia- wisdom); in another word, its capacity to add tremendous values to human life. Among those values, time is one of the most precious things in our life. For example, how much time and effort would it take for a person to seek out all the utility bills of St. Norbert in the last year, sort them by buildings, sum them up, and sketch a precise chart, create a nice-looking report? With the system I am working on, it will be a couple of clicks away. And will that person enjoy that kind of tedious, ordinary tasks?

Yet, I know that there are businesses in Vietnam that are still using those inefficiently, intensively manual labour because of the costs of accessing to such systems. Even big corporations, like my mother's bank, use thrown-away systems from other foreign companies. All of this is because of Vietnam's lack of capable professionals in the computing field.

This is where computer science philosophy meets my own philosophy and the need of the country- the ability and commitment to increase efficiency, to recognize and solve business problems, to add values to human life, and to allow everyone in the society to self-actualize- to live and to work to their potential.

Career Path

After graduation, I will move back to Vietnam and work for a small business venture founded by my friend. The business is currently managing a couple of real estates, and is shifting its focus onto importing/exporting goods. In a few years, I plan to come back to the U.S. for MBA program.

In the long run, I want to become the entrepreneur who will bring Western ideas and innovations to Vietnam, enhance the efficiency of Vietnamese businesses, contribute to the country's economic growth, and ultimately improve the lives of Vietnamese. And to achieve this goal, I will need to constant guidance from my computer science philosophy and the skills I have learned from computer science profession, especially my senior capstone project, such as problem-solving, logical, analytical, decision-making, project-oriented, and time-management skills.

Contact Information

Van Le

Email Address: van.le@snc.edu

A 2009 Computer Science Capstone Experience by Van Le - St. Norbert College