Resume/CV

Updated 6 February 2009, plus career plans May 3, 2009

Career Plans

Starting in the fall of 2009, I will be pursuing a Ph.D. in Human-Computer Interaction at Iowa State University while working on a research assistantship, with the eventual goal of become a professor of HCI and/or Computer Science, or working in a research field.

Table of Contents

Research Experience

• CS460 Senior Capstone Project - Spring 2009
    As a part of the St. Norbert College computer science major, I will be completing an independent research and development project in the final semester of my senior year. I will present my results to computer science faculty in a defense format, as well as to students and faculty in an open session. For information on the course, please visit the St. Norbert College Computer Science course descriptions.
  • "Sudoku for the algorithmically-minded" - Independent presentation - 2008:
    Following study and discussion of Sudoku basics in the spring of 2008, I prepared a talk presenting Sudoku from the point of view of math and computer science, including a “depth-first search” technique for maintaining a progression of logic. I presented my work at the MAA/PME annual summer meeting (MathFest) in 2008, as well as the St. Norbert College Pi Mu Epsilon math conference in 2008.
  • Square-Wheeled Bicycle - 2007-2008
    I worked with a small class of peers, outside of the sponsoring MT489 Mathematical Modeling course, to design and build a bicycle with square wheels that rides smoothly. The bike (and required custom track/road) was revealed at the St. Norbert College Pi Mu Epsilon math conference in Fall of 2007. I traveled with the bike and a few other group members to the 2008 MAA/PME annual summer meeting (MathFest) where it was presented in a special exhibition and demo session. The project has received substantial press attention and has spawned several presentations at MathFest. More information is available at the project homepage.
  • St. Norbert College Research Fellowship - 2005-2007
    Working with another student research fellow and two faculty advisors, I worked on algorithms for mathematical shape approximation and quantification of shape similarity. I presented independently or jointly at the MAA/PME annual summer meeting (MathFest) in 2006 and 2007, as well as at St. Norbert College Pi Mu Epsilon math conferences in 2006 and 2007 and MAA Wisconsin section meetings in 2005 and 2006.
  • "LightSync" Multimedia Synchronization Research - Fall 2006
    During the CS 225 course, I collaborated with another student to design, prototype, and build a hardware output device for switching lights on demand. I designed and implemented software to analyze music and establish rhythm-based light patterns, as well as a network system to transmit lighting commands from desktop or mobile devices to a control computer and the hardware device. We presented a live demo and a tech talk to classmates. After the course was completed, I continued my work on the project and presented the results of the research in a poster session and live demo during the Day of Celebration of Student/Faculty Collaboration. Information is available at the project web site.

Career-Related Experience

Return to contents

• Entrepreneur & Tech Consultant, RyAnd Computing; Green Bay, WI - 2003-present
    I formed and continue to operate my own technology business, working directly with an extensive customer base. I perform a variety of technology services, including networking, web application design and implementation, and computer repair, for both consumer and business customers. I also provide professional graphic design services for print and web as ClearDefinition Design.
  • Teaching Assistant, St. Norbert College Computer Science Department - 2007-present
    I hold weekly TA lab hours and am available to assist other computer science students (primarily those in introductory courses) with lab assignments and projects. I find multiple ways to explain concepts to help each student understand the material in the way most suitable to their learning and thinking style.
  • Artist for Fallas Festival, L'Equip Fet d'Encàrrec, Valencia, Spain - Spring 2008
    I assisted in the construction and painting of larger-than-life “Fallas” sculptures to be exhibited and ceremonially burned in an annual cultural celebration. I worked with career artists and sculptors native to Valencia, Spain throughout the course of this unpaid internship.
  • Software Developer and Windows Maintainer, AbiSource (volunteer) - 2002-present
    In a volunteer capacity I perform software development, quality assurance, and produce artwork for a free word processing program, AbiWord, which has been installed on millions of computers.
  • Software Developer and Interface Designer, Google Summer of Code - 2008
    Under contract to Google, Inc., I was selected to re-envision and redesign the interface to document styling tools for AbiWord.
  • Software Developer, Google Summer of Code - 2007
    Out of hundreds of applicants, I was selected to produce a Microsoft Windows interface for a live collaboration feature for AbiWord under contract to Google, Inc.
  • Technology Consultant, Syble Hopp School; De Pere, WI - 2006-2007
    I serviced computers and adaptive technology devices for the Brown County school for children with disabilities. I designed and implemented a school-wide network for Internet and data access, advised new technology purchases, and developed documents and processes for continued technology use.

Leadership Experience

Return to contents

• Officer, St. Norbert College Rainbow Alliance - 2006-present
    I took the helm of a struggling student organization and built a vibrant student community. Among my greatest successes has been leading the development of a “Safe Zone Ally” peer education program, and recently organizing an “Ally Mentor Workshop” in which interested students spent two days learning about diversity issues and group facilitation. I have served as President and Ally Coordinator for the group, which has won several campus awards during my time as an officer.
  • First Year Experience Mentor, St. Norbert College - 2006-2008
    I facilitated discussion and learning with small groups of incoming first year students at St. Norbert College. I participated in intensive facilitation and teambuilding training to prepare for my role in welcoming incoming students to the college.

Education

Return to contents

• St. Norbert College, De Pere, WI - Graduation Date: May, 2009
    B.S. degree, triple major in Computer Science, Math, Spanish, participant in the Honors Program

Overall GPA: 3.98—Comp. Sci. major GPA: 4.0—Math major GPA: 4.0—Span. major GPA: 3.78
  • University of Virginia Hispanic Studies Program, Valencia, Spain - Study Abroad
    I attended a semester-long study abroad program focusing on Spanish language and culture. I achieved fluency in Spanish (Castilian).

Honors and Awards

Return to contents

• Dean’s List, inductee of Pi Mu Epsilon mathematics honor society, inductee of Phi Beta Delta international education honor society, participant in the Honors Program
  • Mel Nicks Award, two Norbertine Leadership and Service Awards, Father Gene Gries Involvement Award, St. Norbert College Math Award, St. Norbert Natural Science PRIDE Award recipient, St. Norbert College Trustee Scholar, Recognized by the National Residence Hall Honorary for diversity initiatives

Skills

Return to contents

I have owned and operated my own business for nearly five years, exercising my technology skills, and have experience in a wide range of software, hardware, and networking systems. Through my formal education, I have a solid base in theoretical and applied computer science. I am active in graphic design, including commercially, as well as photography both for memory’s and art’s sake. In the intersection of my artistic and technological skills, I enjoy the study of interface design, the study of creating intuitive and user-centered interactions between humans and technology of all kinds. I am also fluent in Spanish as the result of eight years of experience and a recent four-month immersion experience.

Technical Skills

Return to contents

• C
  • C++
  • Python
  • regular expressions
  • Visual Basic 6.0
  • XHTML
  • HTML
  • CSS
  • PHP
  • Perl (and Perl CGI)
  • JavaScript
  • x86 assembler (ASM)
  • SQL (MySQL) using PHP and Python
  • Scheme
  • Development environments:
    • Visual Studio 6.0 and 2005
    • MSYS/MinGW (GCC/G++, Windows)
    • Anjuta with GCC/G++ (Linux)
    • Xcode (Mac)
    • Embedded (Maemo Linux on ARM) development
  • TCP/IP network design
  • 802.11 wireless networking
  • OpenVPN
  • Desktop administration of Windows, Mac OS, and Linux systems
  • Server administration on Ubuntu, Debian, and Slackware Linux, and Windows 2000
  • Computer hardware assembly and maintenance
  • Hardware design and soldering
  • Power user of Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X (10.5)