March 24

• Wowza, it's been awhile since I updated. I've been getting a lot accomplished since the walkthrough; it gave me confidence in my work - I'm doing something right! So working on it is less tentative because I know what I'm doing will work out. I've styled the kiosk-side browser a little more, and a correct answer takes you to the next question (which is chosen randomly from three). I've also created a title page giving the user the address of the user-side browser. It also refreshes important information in the game_lifelines.txt file (which contains the number of lifelines and lives the user has left as well as keeping track of which question the user is on). The title page resets these to three lifelines and three lives, and sets the question number to 1.
    Also, I've created a new text file containing an answer's explanation so that the user understands why one answer is incorrect and another isn't. I'd like to have this explanation displayed regardless of whether the answer was correct or not (chances are the user will be guessing a good amount of time), but that's a work in progress. I'm excited about where my project is - the end is in sight!

Updated Kiosk Website

Goals for this week:
    - Re-do the user-side browser: needs a 50/50 button
    - Get a tenative connection going!
    - Take care of what the happens when the user gets an answer incorrect
    - Implement a way that gives an answer's explanation after the user guesses

March 7

• Today, Joe, Danielle, and I met in the JMS lab and worked on our projects. It was nice being able to ask questions and bounce ideas off each other, even though we aren't working on the same thing. I continued working on the kiosk-side browser. It now keeps track of how many lifelines the user has, and if one is clicked, it does not allow the user to use another one. (He won't be able to until the next question - as of right now, I only have the one question showing.) My next goal is that when a lifeline is clicked, two of the incorrect answers disappear. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do this yet. I'll probably end up putting an extra character into the text file next to the two answers I want to disappear, but it also means that I'll have to do more work being able to print the answers to the screen in the first place. I hope to get a lot of work done over Spring Break, but I'm still struggling with the idea of a socket connection. Hopefully the walkthrough will provide some good ideas.
    WIP Kiosk Website

Goals for this week:
    - Research connections (WIP)
    - Start creating the kiosk-side webpage (WIP)

March 4

• Yesterday I lookied into sockets. I created a small test socket - I was able to connect to compsci02.snc.edu and recieve header information. Now it's just a matter of figuring what information I'd like to pass to the server! Today I started work on the kiosk browser. I'm able to read from the text files that contain the questions and answers. I have another file that holds the number of lifelines the user has left. I definitely still have work to do with it, but I think I'm headed in the right direction!
    WIP Kiosk Website
    Game Question Text Files

Goals for this week:
    - Research connections (WIP)