BIG Progress

2/17/2021

We have liftoff! I have spent the last few days experimenting with the Tobii Stream Engine API and looking at the documentation online (which has been invaluable by the way, very well written and easy to understand). The engine works mostly off of an event based system so you subscribe and unsubscribe to whichever streams of information is most useful to you at the time. I have not done much work with events but I looked at some tutorials and I think I understand them pretty well now. 

Anyway, after some initial difficulty with properly configuring the libraries, I was able to get a message to pop up on screen saying my device had been recognized. That felt great, but I didn’t stop there.

Recognizing my connected device for the first time

I went on to subscribe to the gaze_point data stream and after some fiddling, I got the coordinates of where I was currently looking to show up on screen! Now, THAT felt awesome! Tomorrow I plan on looking into how to move the mouse programmatically. We also have our mini-poster sessions tomorrow so I am going to plan for those a bit and then call it a night.

Coordinates of where I am looking at on screen as I move my eyes around