St. Norbert College CS 460 - Capstone Experience - Spring 2002
The Players The Projects The Pictures

Jake Mueller Image Editor 5:30pm, Monday, April 29
Cofrin 11
The objective of my CS 460 senior project was to develop a class of functions in C++ that allows the user to read a bitmap image from a file into memory, edit it using various editing functions, and save it back to disk. Because this class was to be implemented in a Windows environment, I also created a separate Windows interface. Functions of my image editing class allow the user to edit brightness, alter contrast and tint (prevalence of red, green, or blue shades in an image), convert to negative or gray scale, mirror or rotate the image, and change the image's magnification. I designed the class and its Windows interface with maximum efficiency and reliability in mind. In addition, I also considered portability issues as this project may serve as a teaching tool in years to come. My completed CS 460 Image Editor meets all of its requirements, performs in a reliable and accurate fashion, and is a prime example of good software engineering.

Ryan Clausing Digital Sound Editor 6:30pm, Monday, April 29
Cofrin 11
The purpose of my project was to create a sound editor that allows the user to modify digital sound files as well as record digital sound from an input device such as a microphone. For the editing portion of the requirements, I focused on features that I have used to a great extent in other digital sound editors. Some of these features include cut, copy, paste, fade in, and fade out. I also implemented essential functions such as play, pause, stop, fast forward, and rewind. My program is very easy to use, yet maintains a high level of functionality.

Jason Van Pee Scheduling System Template 7:30pm, Monday, April 29
Cofrin 11
My senior project is a Visual Basic based application that uses both an Access database and an Oracle database to save possible time schedules. This application allows users to login into the system and sign up for available time slots. It can be run from any computer with internet access by use of an Oracle client. The Oracle database, located on an SNC server, allows multiple users to acess the same data. The Access database allows users to use the application locally, allowing the user to save personal schedules or to further test the application. Possible uses for this application include work schedules, blood drive sign-up, or any other multiple user scheduling.

Carson Diltz GPS Tracking System and Communications Protocol 8:30pm, Monday, April 29
Cofrin 11
I have created a GPS Tracking System that allows the current position (latitude and longitude) of a mobile unit to be displayed on a web page in real-time. Additionally, I have developed a communications protocol that allows commands to be sent to the mobile unit from a web page and responses to be sent back to the user from the mobile unit. The mobile unit is completely wireless and connects to the Internet via a cellular telephone modem connection. Possible future applications for this system and protocol include remote control of a robot or similar vehicle.

Laura Weiland CCR Deadlock 3:00pm, Tuesday, April 30
PAC Auditorium
Have you ever found yourself needing something from someone else to finish a task, only to discover they cannot finish their task without the completion of your task? If this has happened to you, you have experienced deadlock! Come to my presentation to learn about the fundamentals of deadlock and see how the trains of the Computer Controlled Railroad (CCR) recover and avoid such situations.

Erik Riggenbach CCR with Multiple Cars 4:00pm, Tuesday, April 30
PAC Auditorium
My senior project takes the model trains to a new length. I created an operating system which allows an HO scale train with N number of cars to travel around the track. My system correctly allocates and de-allocates resources for the train using a batch file. This operating system will also stop the train if something is blocking its path. Using couplers and uncouplers, the train will drop off cars in the train yard and pick them back up again under program control. This project simulates the workings of a normal sized train at 1/87 the size.

Luke Opperman CCR Simulator 6:00pm, Tuesday, April 30
PAC Auditorium
The Computer Controlled Railroad is growing in usefulness and applicability for student and class projects. At the same time, the hardware and physical preparation present a significant hurdle and preclude a large group of students from independently experimenting with the system. My project aims to duplicate the programming interface and behavior of the CCR in software, and provide an extendable design for future development of railroad-based systems.

Bryant Coughlin Mobile Robot 7:00pm, Tuesday, April 30
PAC Auditorium
My robot Kasper was built from a mobile robot kit provided to me. Then I extended its functionality by adding external sensory detectors. I also designed and implemented operating systems for it based upon different desired behaviors. These desired behaviors control the robot without any human intervention (i.e. remote control).

Chris Frohliger Laser Lights 8:00pm, Tuesday, April 30
PAC Auditorium
My project was to design and implement a system that uses a laser to draw lines on a wall. The scope of this project included designing the system, building the needed hardware, and writing two applications that would use this system. Stepper motors are the workhorse of the system, and this project demonstrates their use. The motors are driven from the parallel port and change the angles at which two mirrors reflect the laser beam onto the wall. The laser is independent of the system; if the user prefers to use some other laser, the new laser could easily be used instead of the original. All of this is explained in more detail on the main project page for the Laser Light Show.