Title Song: I Won’t Back Down

Title Artist: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers

Song Link: https://youtu.be/nvlTJrNJ5lA

This week was, for the most part, successful and productive. I was able to connect all of the parts together, except for the actual singing part. Thankfully I was able to copy and paste all of the controls from my individual parts into my full project. This meant that I didn’t have to create each control individually again, saving me quite a bit of time. This was a major step for this project as I had previously been using hardcoded file paths and running each part separately.

I was also able to implement the “-15 seconds” and “+15 seconds” buttons on the karaoke part. This was relatively simple because I just had to copy what I had written in the timestamp section. I’ve included a video below of this below.

There was, however, a roadblock that I ran into. Trying to implement a progress bar to indicate to the user how long a line of lyrics was proved to be more difficult than anticipated. The first step in my original idea was to use the timestamps to calculate how long a line was. This worked just fine. The next step was using the timestamp for the next line and the current position of the audio file to determine where the song was at within that line. Then, I would take that number and calculate what percentage of the total length of the line it was and represent that number on the progress bar. But this is where things got wonky. Since I was doing most of these calculations within the tick function of the SongTimer, the math wasn’t always accurate. So, the progress bar didn’t work consistently between lines and the math would sometimes generate a percentage higher than 100.

Having met with Drs. McVey, Pankratz, and Diederich this morning about this issue, I am now working on solving this issue by doing less “in the moment” calculations to prevent inconsistency and inaccuracies. Hopefully I will be able to wrap this up this week and connect the singing piece to the rest of the program.

Anyway, that’s it for this update. I’ve included some screenshots / videos of the wonky progress bar and the welcome screen of the full project below. As always, thanks for reading!

Lauren (4/11/22)

Screenshot:

I will eventually be changing the “welcome” to the name of the program, but I haven’t thought of anything creative to call it yet.

Videos:

On some of the lines, you’ll notice that the bar stays at zero for a while. This is when the percentage that is being calculated is greater than 100.

-15 and +15 seconds demonstration

Categories:

Tags:

No responses yet