Title Song: Here Comes The Sun

Title Artist: The Beatles

Song Link: Here Comes The Sun (2019 Mix) – YouTube

A lot of progress was made this weekend on two different parts of my application.

The first is what I am currently referring to as the “Timestamping” step in the process. This is where the user loads their audio file and then “stamps out” where each line of lyrics begins in the song. While there is still a bit that needs to be finished and finalized for this section, I was able to get the main mechanics figured out. This included having the current line of lyrics be a different color than the rest (it moves on when the user places a timestamp), storing the timestamps in an array for future reference, and changing the stop button to be a start over button instead. Since changing the color of the text required that I delete the text and then add it back with the next line colored, I also made sure the scrollbar of the lyric and timestamp textboxes remain in the same place as the text was being changed (this took more work than I thought, but it was 100% necessary). It still flickers a bit when it is updating, but it isn’t too bad. I’ve added three videos below showing this part of the application. One is what the screen looked like before I added the color indicator, one is when I added the color indicator but didn’t maintain the scrollbar position, and the other is after both were added. Hopefully you’ll be able to see how much of a difference those two features made in the overall feel of the process.

The second piece that I worked on was what I call the “Lyric Load” step. This is where the user loads in their lyric text file and is then able to edit it. They can move lyrics to different lines, change words, etc. in order to customize their experience. They can also just copy and paste the lyrics from the internet if they do not have them already in a text file. This was thankfully a relatively easy piece to create as it made for a nice break from my other homework. I’ve added a video of this below for your viewing pleasure.

My next steps are going to be to finish all of the functionality of these two pieces. This includes undo/redo functionality as well as the export option. I’m also considering adding a playlist ability that will allow the user to load multiple audio files and already timestamped lyric files in order to create a playlist of songs that they can sing through. I also will be working on the design of the actual karaoke part of the application as well as how all of the sections are going to be connected.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read through my update. I’ve listed the different sources that I used for these pieces as well as some short video demos of both of them.

Lauren (2/20/22)

Sources:

Videos:

Timestamping w/o color indicator
Timestamping w/ color indicator but moving scrollbar
Timestamping good version
Lyric Loading and Editing

Categories:

Tags:

No responses yet