Title Song: Ratlin’ Bog

Title Artist: Brigham Phillips and John Herberman

Song Link: https://youtu.be/5QO8bWGNPyo

This past week I felt as if things just kept getting stacked on top of my ever-present list of things to get done (take a listen to the title song to get a sense of what I mean). But, even so, I was still able to make some progress on my project.

My main focus was the undo/redo functionality in the timestamping section. This is one of the most important features of my project, and I knew it was going to take a bit longer to get it functioning properly. This past week proved that thought to be correct.

I’ve played around with a few different ways of making this work. The first was to use two separate stacks, one for undo and one for redo, that I could then push timestamps onto, and pop as needed. But, after trying it out and thinking about it a bit more, I realized that it would be hard to keep track of whether the timestamp at the top of the stack actually made sense to be undone or redone at whatever the time user pressed the button (if the first timestamp was at the top of the redo stack, it wouldn’t make sense for it to be put back in multiple lines later). So, I needed a Plan B!

Plan B came in the form of just having two individual TimeSpan elements (what I’ve been referring to as TimeStamps) that would hold the most recently placed timestamp (undo) and if the user pressed the undo button, then the removed timestamp. So, there would only be one timestamp at a time that could be undone, and it would be replaced each time the user placed another timestamp. And when the user undid a timestamp, the redo one would hold onto that until a new timestamp was placed.

Now, Plan B doesn’t make it very ideal to do larger scale edits since it only keeps track of the previously placed, but I’m hoping to implement the ability to scroll through the song to a desired place and begin editing from there. The user also has the ability to manually change the timestamps in the textbox so if they know that they were off by a small amount, they can just change it manually without having to undo or scroll back.

Next week is Spring Break and I’m hoping to make some decent progress during it. My goal is to finish the undo/redo functionality before break starts so that I am able to move on to tackling the scroll functionality. Other than that, I will likely start to connect the different parts of the application and begin to remove some of the hardcoded files/paths that I have been using.

Anyway, this was a fairly short update, and hopefully it made some sense. There aren’t any videos or sources for this update, but I have added the links to the Spotify playlists that have been my programming buddies in case you were the least bit curious after last week’s update.

As always, thanks for reading!

Lauren (3/7/2022)

Playlists:

Categories:

Tags:

No responses yet