Polishing Up

Polishing Up

2/26/2023

This week was all about polishing up what I had and doing a lot of the tedious work I have put off. I would say my major achievement is getting a for loop to work. The syntax for everything and to show all of my functions is laid out in this document. The for loop is limited to incrementing up and down and to either a greater than or less than condition. That might be changed in the future but for now, it is working how I would like it.

Aside from the for loop, I added images for all of the new commands I have created so my menu of options is expanding. There are now many conditionals that can be dragged in as well as turning in different directions and the for and if statements. Dragging is now working where text is dropped wherever the cursor is in the textbox versus just adding the text to the end of the string too.

While working on my loops and if statements, I realized how much I was relying on spacing in my program so far. Right now everything must be on separate lines but I have fixed my reliance on capitalization by changing everything to lower when I get it from the text box. That is one way that I can eliminate annoying little syntax errors revolving around capitalization. Spacing might be a beast that I walk around instead of slaying for this project. I am trying to reduce small syntax errors but removing them all would defeat the purpose of this program. Including rules like having to put everything on separate lines will help students transition into languages like Python that rely on spacing or just help them develop good practice for using other languages.

The final element that was added this week was a run and reset button along with changing the colors of the grid. When run is pressed, the buttons and textbox are disabled and the grid color changes to green. When the program is done running, the grid color lightens a bit and will only return to gray if the grid is reset with the reset button or briefing when the program is run again.